Monday, February 6, 2012

Buna Family and friends!

Well Mom and Dad It was so great to hear from you! I hope that when I get off my mission that I can make a trip out to Virginia to see Ed, Kari and the family. I feel like you have done a lot of traveling since I've been on my mission. When I get home I will have to catch up and go see some of the siblings.

What a week! First, English is going AWESOME. We really do have a great class. Sora Schuld taught medium and we LOVED it. We have been doing a lot of conversational type tips. We choose a topic and get the students to talk and really use their English skills. Its the best when we can get a great discussion and every body is involved. We have had the best retention rate yet in my mission in this class and I think it is due to the preparation that Sora and I take every week. We take time to plan lessons every week. We have used Mormon messages and articles from the Ensign or Liahona. I love it. I need to take pictures and send them to you so you can get an idea of what we do.

We also had sister exchanges which were AWESOME! Sora Komar who is serving in Iasi (Yash is how you say it in English) came here to Chisinau. Her and her companion, Sister Remsburge, came on Wednesday and then Sora Komar and I went back on Friday to Iasi to get Sora Schuld. Some interesting background on Sora Komar, she was actually baptised in Russia and adopted when she was 12 by a family in Washington. She lives just outside of Seattle. As you all know, every one speaks Russian here. She understood a lot and she even had an opportunity to speak Russian with all the people that we met with on Thursday. I was so impressed... it really made me want to learn Russian. I think she just had an amazing connection with all of them. Every one was just so naturally drawn to her. I think that part of the connection has to do with the fact that she lived a similar life before. She lived in an orphanage for years. It was a true testimony builder that God really does call us all to the specific places for specific reasons.

Sometimes I wonder why was I sent here. I say that because I have never felt an amazing connection to any one in particular but maybe that will come in time. I feel like the most special people on my mission have been my companions and the other missionaries I've served around. I wonder what I will be like coming back home and being back with people that knew me before the mission. I wonder what they will say about how I've changed and what is different. I can feel differences and see them too but it will be interesting to hear an outsiders view.

My scripture reading is coming....I've been trying to read at every available time so I can catch up. It's hard. When I did the 60 day challenge last time, part of the time was in the MTC and I had a TON of time to study and read... so its coming. I have less than a MONTH! WOW! haha On that note I'm in Jacob 6. I just finished the allegory of the tame and wild olive tree....AMAZING!!! I could spend a week just on that. I loved it. I was so impressed how the Lord of the Vineyard was so grieved with pain "to loose the tree." He says it so often it just makes me think of how great and eternal our Heavenly Father's love really is. I know that he loves each of us. I know that out Heavenly Father wants to hear from us all the time. We should always have a prayer in our hearts.

I love you all! Sora Cottam, I'm getting your emails tell your mom THANK YOU!! I also heard from Lauren aka "my boo" I love you girl and I am so excited you are having a baby BOY!! Also, Tiff I love you girl. I'm working on letters for you all. Letter writing is hard and I don't think that I will ever catch up....but I'm trying.

Mom and Dad and Ann have a safe trip back. I love you all please give my little spice girls aka Hazel Ginger and Poppy all hugs and kisses for me........ xoxo

va iubesc,
Sora Hickman

Attached are some pictures of Sora Komar and I and then a part of my district from district study this morning.