Buna ZIua!!
Wow, I'm so glad that someone mentioned the fact that it was Martin Luther Day! ha ha Being all the way on the other side of the world you forget about some of those things. We actually just celebrated New Years here again...so the Russian Calendar is off about 2 weeks so people in Russian, Ukraine and here in Moldova actually celebrated Christmas last week and New Years yesterday. So that was fun. We didn't really celebrate, of course, but we had people bring some treats to Church and tell us Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Which was great because I love this time of year, so it was great to elongate it a bit more.
Well, a couple things before I forget. I want to thank those that email Sora Schuld. When she opened her email she said, "WOW how did I get so many emails"? ha ha Then she saw Hickman written on them. Thank you so much, it really made her day. I hope that a few of you can continue to email her, even if it is something that is really small and simple. Dan, she is really good looking and she is a little older, she is 26...so ya know just saying! :)
Also, Carson I did get your pictures, thank you! Plus just a warning I have sent some letters to many of you, but here is Moldova I hear that it takes a long while, so I apologize up front. I just hope they make it to you. Just a reminder I love pictures!
Mom did you forward my email to Sora Cottam and to the McFadden's?
I wanted to explain a bit about our district. So here in Moldova there are 8 Russian elders who are actually called to the Romania Moldova mission. We used to borrow a few from the Ukraine but now we have elders that are called to our mission Russian speaking. They are great! Church is real interesting, most of it is done in Russian, but everyone is translating. We go back and forth, Romanian, Russian and English. Ha ha
We had a great week and I wanted to share an experience. We got to go to a concert at a school for kids that are handicapped with mental disabilities. It was such a special experience. I got to sit next to this super cute little boy. It was interesting when we walked in everyone clapped for us. It was kind of awkward, but we just smiled and sat down. It was Sora and I and the zone leaders Elder Nillson and Elder Finch. Then 2 Russian elders Elder Giles and Elder Jones. The young kids sang Christmas songs and danced and played instruments...it was fabulous. The best part at the end was the young boy that I sat next to came up and hugged me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Oh, it was so special. I love handicapped children. Thank you Ann! ha ha For those of you reading this and who do not know who Ann is, she is my sister and she has disabilities and she is my best friend. When I am with these young kids I can just feel their love and their closeness to the Lord. I hope that we can continue to work with them and serve there in the school.
I really feel that the way to the people here is through service. I want to help so many peoples. So, we have a few opportunities this next week to help. I will keep you updated.
Also, I heard that the Hastler's got their papers in. I am so excited for them. It would be SO awesome if they got called here! Could you imagine! We start English class this next week.
Finally, I wanted to report on my scripture reading! I love the Book Of Mormon. Can I just say that! I am in 1 Nephi 18. I am actually reading a lot slower than I wanted to. I wanted to be done in about 2 months, by March 5th, but in order to do that I have to read about 3 Chapters a day and I have found it hard to do that, so I either need to pick it up or I need to push back the date. :) Anyway, I am continually impressed with how much Nephi refers to obeying the commandments, about being obedient, doing what the Lord asks and that if we do these things we will be blessed. I know this to be true. We had a great district study this morning. We talked about service. Elder Kitchen and his wife are serving here with the YSA's. He really impressed me when he said, "When we are in the service of Jesus Christ, we have to have His attitude and the out look that Christ would have"...it made me think that in everything that I do, I do it as Christ would, most definitely NOT because if I did I would be Perfect...I'm close, but not 100%. ha ha Just kidding. One of my goals this week is to have a better attitude, be happy and take what ever the Lord gives me, whether it be slammed doors in my face or whether it be many miraculous service opportunities. I will do it and I will try to do it just as Christ would. I Challenge all of you to do the same. Pray and seek out opportunities to serve others.
I love you all SOSOSOSOSOS much. I miss you to, but we'll see each other soon.
Va iubesc,
Sora Hickman