Buna Familia mea!
Well, another amazing and an exciting week, I can't wait to tell you all about it! First, I gotta say welcome home to my BESTIE Brady who just got home this last week from him mission in Peru!!! Don't worry about sending the watch to me here is Romania...we'll worry about that when I get home.ha ha ;)
Well, we had a great picnic on Saturday with the Branch. It was so wonderful, a lot of the members came. We had pizza and people brought salads and drinks. They brought Salata de Vinete (I hope I spelled every thing correct...but I guess if not you won't know, only those who speak Romanian will...ha-ha:). Anyway that salad is one of my FAVORITES out here, they make it with eggplant, it's super yummy. Then Romanian pizza is a little different, it usually has corn on it and tastes great just different than American. We also had sign ups for English which went really well. The best sign ups I've ever had here in Romania. I'm excited to start English classes again. We will start on Tuesday.
Mom, you asked in the last email about the climate change. It's still really hot, but I don't think it's as humid as Cluj, at least that is how I feel. We are really close to Hungary. A lot of the signs and things are printed in Hungarian as well...SUPER cool. When Ben Nealy gets home from His mission I'll be able to say a few things to him. Also, you asked about the missionary work here and how it's going...it's going. We have a lot of work to do, but I guess the work is NEVER done. We have put a special emphasis on working with those that are less active. I feel like if we can't keep the sheep that we already have why bring in more. We need a lot of help and support from the branch because as missionaries we can go visit, but we all change and move around and can not be there as a constant help. SO, it super important to have the branch members working with them. SO, I hope that we can get people back to church. We have such great branch, but so little of the members come EVERY week. Even if we can get a few people to come back it will be worth so much...just like in D&C 18:10, "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God". I'm just so glad that I have the opportunity to take part in this!
We have our wonderful Senior couple the McFaddens from St. George that are working with YSA's here in Arad. They are SO great! Super funny too. We go over to their house for breakfast on P-days and try to help them out. They are such a great add to the branch and the missionary work. Very talented individuals and very strong. I got to translate for them yesterday in church. That was my first time translating and it was tough...I didn't know all that they were talking about...ha-ha especially in Sunday school when we were studying from Romans. Anyway, I'm excited, that I have the opportunity to translate and that I can help out because it helps me too. :)
The language is coming, I understand SO well and I can speak well too. I don't always have the vocab, but I can explain it enough so they understand. Oh I gave my first talk in sacrament meeting yesterday! I talked about choosing the right and following the children's examples. I really like speaking; at times I didn't know how to say what I wanted to in Romanian, but when I was quiet for a second the thoughts and words came. I'm so grateful that this church is built on a foundation of revelation and that we can receive those promptings.
Also, this week the McFaddens held FHE and institute for the youth. It was super fun to go. We are starting the Old Testament for institute. It's so hard for me to read from the Old Testament sometimes, but I've told myself that I really want to study it and learn more about it. SO that will be my next BIG study project. Right now I'm working on the Doctrine and Covenants.
Couple more things...So, Sora Puckett and I both really like to work out and it's AWESOME! We get up at about 6 every morning and we do a nice long runs some days or we will go for a shorter run and then do stairs. I'm just super glad that I have a companion who enjoys working out.
Finally, I'm not sure if I have told you about va pup (pronounced poop...ya know like poop) or te pup. SO when you say good bye to someone a lot of the times they say "te pup!" meaning I kiss you! We do the cheek to cheek greeting. Ha-ha I just think it fun to say, "I get puped" (pooped) many times through out the day!
Well, I hope you all didn't get bored with this one. It was a little longer than usual, but I love you all and I want you to know how grateful I am that I have wonderful, supportive and loving family and friends. I know that this is the true church and the ONLY true Church of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful we have a prophet, Thomas S. Monson who leads and guides our church. Thank you all for your love and your prayers and for all that you do for me.
P.S. Thanks to all the sibs who wrote me this week! I love hearing from all of you and hearing about your lives.
Va iubesc,
Sora Hickman