Monday, May 30, 2011

Buna Ziua!! HAPPY MEMORIALS DAY!!
What a week! So much to tell! I Hope that everyone loves reading my emails as much as I like telling you about my life as a missionary.
The weather has been really warm here! When I read Keagan's (Natalee's cousin on a mission in Brazil) emails about showering twice a day, I can see why! I walk out of the apartment in the morning and with in minutes I'm sweating. I usually end my day with a shower to cool off and clean all the dirt and grim off! I'm getting tan which is a plus...funny tans lines, but I LOVE it! I do like the warm weather though.
Our elders, Elder Toronto and Elder Newey, in our district had a baptism this last week on Friday for a lady named Arelia! It was so great and such a spiritual experience. The talks that were given were wonderful! It's interesting since we have church in a Villa or a home type building and we have the baptisms in a basin which is like a pig trough thing that we fill up outside, it is AWESOME! I'll take pictures and send them next Monday because we are having another baptism this week!
We have transfers next week. CRAZY to think that I've been here for almost 6 weeks already! I'll find out next Monday if I stay or go. I will let you know.
Also, on Sunday we had two new members move back form America to Cluj. Julie and Alexandria. I got a SURPRISE note from a friend back home...Thanks Landon. It was funny because I sat down next to them thinking I would get to know them because they can speak English and I'll try in Romanian first but can use English words too and they will still understand. I sat down and Alexandria handed me a note with MY NAME on it and said "I think this is for you." I was shocked and wanted to hear the story but sacrament had started! So I waited in suspense. The story is that Landon Winn, a friend from Orem when I lived at Village, helped Julie's Parents at Mr. Mac a while back and made connections with Cluj. It is a small world in the church. Julia is American and Alexandria is from Cluj. They were going to school at BYU and graduated about 4 years ago. They both work from home and so they decided to move somewhere fun to work from home. We are so blessed to have them! The branch here will surely be blessed to have them.
Last night Sora and I had a interesting time. We planned to go teach a lesson to our eternal investigator Edith but instead we went to two different Catholic Churches and listened to mass in HUNGARIAN!!! I am now VERY grateful I'm learning Romanian. Hungarian words are like ten letters long at least! A little exaggerated but not really. Anyway, It's interesting how many people here speak Hungarian. It was interesting but not what we expected. She told us to meet in Centru (sounds like Centre) or middle of town. We go there for a walk and talk, nope she had other plans in mind. After we got done and were headed home, we looked at each other shaking our heads laughing and thought, "What just happened!!?" It did shine a light on some of their beliefs and traditions which was very interesting and an eye opener. It just seemed like something was missing. They have good intentions, yet it was so different at the same time. I mentioned that we went to two different masses. The difference between them was so DRASTIC! It reaffirmed my testimony that I KNOW that this gospel is true. We are so blessed to be missionaries and to be here serving. I KNOW we will help others come unto Christ and find the fullness of the Gospel.
I wrote about our investigator Ioan a few weeks ago. He has really been struggling with his dad and family. This week we were really surprised when he called us and said that he does NOT want to change religion and that he didn't want to meet that night. We were devastated. We are going to give him time and continue to pray for him! I know that his time will come.
Well, I'm running a bit short on time to write, since I did pictures. As always I love you all. Thank you for the Love and support!
Va Iubesc,
Sora Hickman